  From: John M. Steele
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:31 PM
  Subject: [USMA:51229] New, Improved Gold Bar, 104% Gold

        Oh, AP, how do thee err? Let me count the ways.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1067900--french-designer-jean-paul-gaultier-dresses-up-new-bar-of-gold-with-heart

        1) 25 karat gold? Pure gold is 24 karat.  How do you make 104% gold?

        2) The claim that "regular size" gold bars are 1 kg.  Right next to a
picture of the company's existing 1 OZT (symbol for troy ounce?) bar, and 50,
100, and 250 g bars.

        3) Failure to note that precious metals are measured in troy not
avoirdupois ounces. 1 kg is about 2.2 av lb, but it may be more important to
note that it is about 32.1507 troy ounces (2.69 troy lb, if the troy pound were
still used)

        Note: The photo at this link is Reuters, but it seems to be the same AP
article shown in dozens of sources without the photo.

        I guess fact-checking has been "thrifted" to make a more competitive
media product.