Also, amazngly enough, National Geographic Explorer website gets it right:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/120325-james-cameron-mariana-trench-dive-deepest-science-sub-descent/

Nice, rational metric, unfortunately following imperial, but still there in
every single instance.  I have to wonder if these constant references to
depths in miles are due to the fact that the original information was in
kilometers.

Remek