When did this bill originate and when will it be voted on?

Per the status link below, HB 36 was introduced to the Hawaii Senate last
week on January 16th. That was the first day of the 2013 legislative
session. Usually a massive number of bills are introduced on the first day
(looks like it was ~700 bills in Hawaii) by the Representatives which are
then read one-by-one and assigned committees.

HB 36 was assigned to the Judiciary and
<http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/committeepage.aspx?comm=CPC> Consumer
Protection & Commerce committees. The bill will NOT be voted upon until both
the Chairs of the JUD and CPC schedule hearings and committee votes on the
bill. It may be months.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB
<http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=36&;
year=2013> &billnumber=36&year=2013

Who, other than Karl, is supporting this bill?  What are its chances of
passing?

No one as if now is co-sponsoring the bill. There were 700 other bills
introduced same day. If the metrication bill is going to receive any
attention by lawmakers, it will have to have be covered in the Hawaiian
media. What surprises me is that (1) Rep. Rhoads vice-chairs the Judiciary
committee and (2) the bill is surprisingly thorough. He either dedicated
some thought to this, or he has a very active intern working for him.

The chances of it passing are very slim.

One of the documents I looked over said that metrication is to be complete
"by 2018", but from the other articles, it won't start until 2018.  Which is
it?

The exact text of the legislation is, "SECTION 10.  This Act shall take
effect on January 1, 2018; provided that sections 7 and 8 shall take effect
upon approval," meaning that the law, which makes the SI system the
officially recognized system of measurement, will take effect on January
1st, 2018. The process of metrication or the "preparation" will occur for
the next 5 years and then become official on January 1st.

If the bill passes, is there anything we can expect to see changed right
away?  Weather reports in the media, gas pumps, store scales, are all things
that can be changed quickly and expose the public.

No. Sections 2, 3, 7 and 8 of the bill authorize the various government
agencies and wonks to create rules concerning the metrication process in
education, agriculture, tax policy and other official uses of measurement.
Nothing would change if the bill were to pass until January 1st, 2018 which
would be the day everyone would switch. Other legislation or activities by
non-governmental organizations would be unrelated.

What about the FPLA, it would still require dual labels on those products
mostly found in stores.

Hawaii cannot affect this law. But it can metricate everything that it has
jurisdiction over.

Doing a Google search on Hawaii metric didn't bring anything up.  Is this
something that has been in the news in Hawaii?  Is it popular?

It has not been mentioned in Hawaii or any other media platform as if yet.

Zach VanNatta

/u/metrication

www.reddit.com/r/metric