Sir(s):
>.....of or relating to measurement
>.....pertaining to the meter or to the metric system.
>..... pertaining to distance: metric geometry.
All correct! But when these refer to Le Systeme Internationale d'Unites (SI in
all languages), it is the sciecnce of METRIC measurements; often
mis-concieved/mis-understood to be the 'count of qunatities in
multiple/sub-multiples of TENS/Hundreds/Thousands...etc.

In my psts, I have tried to impress that WORD "Metre - pertains to the METRE in
the 'metric system' when related to the unit of Length Metre, and not merely if
it has divisions/
multiplications in Tens or the multiple/sub-multiples thereof".

Derived symbols & quantities, if not related to METRE -the distance for length
unit, cannot be considered to belong to Le Systeme Internationale d'Unites
(SI). This is, perhaps, the forefathers left the question un-resolved and made
the confusion for our generations. It is now felt IMPORTANT the the length Unit
Metre and Arc-length/angle, cannot go without their inter-merger - the cause of
failure of the Metric Reform so far. United States/French (and world scientist
community) shall do well to ponder over THIS for the futute of SI (Metric)
System of units for measurements.

I recall having made such a call among my various contributions during
publication of my document: The Metric Second (1973 April) thro Bureau of
Indian Standards, New Delhi. The extension of this became The Metric Calendar
Year  via Metric Norms for Time Standard. On my building several options for
the Reform og Gregorian calendar, I now propose to merely shift the day of July
31 and bring THIS GAINED DAY in the 2nd month February as February 29 (during
all years). Please see my Home Page: http://www.brijvij.com/
Regards,
Brij Bhushan Vij
Thursday, 2013 March 07H17:26(decimal)EST
Aa Nau Bhadra Kritvo Yantu Vishwatah -Rg Veda
The Astronomical Poem (revised number of days in any month)
"30 days has July,September,
April, June, November and December
all the rest have 31 except February which has 29
except on years divisible evenly by 4;
except when YEAR divisible by 128 and 3200 -
as long as you remember that
"October (meaning 8) is the 10th month; and
December (meaning 10) is the 12th BUT has 30 days & ONE
OUTSIDE of calendar-format"
Jan:31; Feb:29; Mar:31; Apr:30; May:31; Jun:30
Jul:30; Aug:31; Sep:30; Oct:31; Nov:30; Dec:30
(365th day of Year is World Day)
******As per Kali V-GRhymeCalendaar*****
"Koi bhi cheshtha vayarth nahin hoti, purshaarth karne mein hai"
My Profile - http://www.brijvij.com/bbv_2col-vipBrief.pdf
Author had NO interaction with The World Calendar Association
except via Media & Organisations to who I contributed for A
Possible World Calendar, since 1971.
HOME PAGE: http://www.brijvij.com/
Contact via E-mail: metric...@hotmail.com OR
"GAYATRI LOK"  Flat # 3013/3rd Floor
NH-58, Kankhal Bypass, Dev-Bhoomi, HARIDWAR-249408 (Uttrakhand - INDIA)

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:56:39 -0800
From: jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [USMA:52469] Re: Use of the Word "Metric"
To: usma@colostate.edu

As a noun, my Webster also gives:
a standard for measuring or evaluating something, a basis for assessment
and gives the example "a new metric for judging success."

Business has adopted this usage big time and we may as well get over it.