Jim, it is weird. Call it an American affectation.   From what I can gather
from my brief study of medical laboratory science, there is a US use of
laboratory units that differs from those in the rest of the world. I think the
difference lies in the perception in the US that if SI *BASE* units are used in
expressing the concentration of the substance being measured, the LABORATORY
units are considered to be SI, while the units used in the US are "not" SI.  I
think that if they knew what they were talking about, they would say "non-US,"
not "non-SI." Actually, I think (I could be wrong) that the US units are called
either "US" or "standard."

For example, the unit used  to measure blood glucose in American labs is mg/dL,
while outside the US, it is mmol/L. Blood glucose meters usually have a switch
on them to allow the patient to toggle betwee mg/dL and mmol/L, presumably
depending upon the country of usage.

So, it is SI to them only if they use an SI base unit (mol) in the numerator of
the concentration. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.
It just seems to me the keepers of the medical laboratory units may need to
brush up on how SI is applied.

Paul Trusten, Reg. Pharmacist
Vice President
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.