An interesting read in how we ended up with the methods we have in the US is Linklater's book "Measuring America". It basically started with Gunter's chain which is still referred to by surveyors even though it essentially is not used anymore.

M Moon

------ Original Message ------
From: "Martin Vlietstra" <vliets...@btinternet.com>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Subject: [USMA:52997] Re: comms: cultural diversity/distinctiveness

The guy who was whinging about thirds, quarters and the duo-decimal system actually has a point – the mathematician Lagrange also considered the situation.   Lagrange was on the committee in France that advised the French Revolutionary Government on matters of  measurement.  In sorting out the mess that loosely passed as the French system of measure,  Lagrange said that there were two options – replace the decimal system of counting with a duodecimal system or use a metric system of measure.  Although philosophically the duodecimal system of counting was the more attractive, introducing a decimal system of measure was the more pragmatic.