 From: Martin Vlietstra <vliets...@btinternet.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:11 PM
Subject: [USMA:53460] Re: Big-Bang Metrication

It might be worthwhile looking as which of these prefixes are used in Europe
(including the UK) and why they are used.

From my experience, the prefix “centi” is widely used for centimetres in
virtually all European countries, while centilitre is used in some European
countries (for example France, but not Germany or the UK), particularly for the
sale of drinks, though French wines are often labelled 75 cl when sold on the
British market.

The prefix “hect” is widely used  in “hectare”  throughout Europe and
“hectrolitre” is used in the wholesale alcoholic drinks trade (at any rate in
the UK).  “Hectometre” is hardly ever used, thought I have seen a reference to
the “hectometerpaal” (hectometre pole) in the Netherlands (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_location_marker).

I have seen the prefix “deci” used in Germany for blood sugar concentrations
(milligrams per decilitre), but otherwise I do not recall having seen it used
elsewhere. I believe that the decilitre is used in this context as the result
is a number that is of the order of 100 and no decimal points are needed
(thereby reducing the scope for error).

I do not recall having seen the prefix deka being used anywhere.

I know that part of the Montesori  method of teaching uses centimetre cubes in
the early years of schooling – both for counting and for measuring. They are a
convenient size.  My own view is that the use of “centi” is a very useful
introduction to decimal sub-units – after all, where does the word “cent” come
from and how many cents are there in a dollar.  I see no harm in introducing
the “unloved prefixes” as an educational exercise to introduce the concept of
prefixes of multipliers and sub-multipliers, particularly for children who are
not yet comfortable counting to 1000 – after all there are 100 centimetres in a
metre and 100 cents in a dollar.  The prefixes “milli” and “kilo” can be
introduced later and once the children are happy with the concept of prefixes,
then “deka”, “deci” etc can quietly disappear from the classroom.