Jim (Frysinger),

The point I would like to emphasize is that SI "Multiples" (and submultiples)
are formed by a Prefix plus a Coherent SI Unit.

Accent on "lom" in kilo-meter to form "lom- eter" diminishes this concept of
"prefix + unit" to form a Multiple.

What should we *teach* the next generation to *speak* in English; "lom-eter" or
kilo-meter?  I certainly advocate "kilo-meter."

Indeed, this question arises in this forum every few years, but it does need to
be reviewed occasionally for the benefit of newcomers.

I am not fluent is Chinese, in any of its various dialects, so I am not able to
tell you (plural) where the Chinese should put the accent  (with a grin, or not
a grin), but I admire your diligence in informing us about some of the
variations in Chinese.

Neither am I fluent in Italian, in Russian, in Czech, or in any of the other
languages of Eastern Europe or Asia.

What do subscribers who are fluent in any of these languages have to say about
speaking the word for "kilo-meter" in one or more of those languages?

The SI Symbols for Units, although adopted globally in a unique form, can not
always be spoken (as a letter or letters) as a convenient substitute for a word
or words in spoken language.

Eugene Mechtly