Many of the classic symbols and abbreviations used in medical and
pharmaceutical fields are extremely arcane.  There is complete assurance they
would NOT be understood by patients and are a poor way for doctors to
communicate with pharmacists.  It is like they both have to learn Greek to keep
patients from understanding what they are talking about.

A handwritten µ could perhaps be mistaken for a m if poorly formed.  However,
with the trend toward computerized medical records, faxing typed prescriptions
to pharmacists, etc, I think the medical profession should use the proper
symbol.