(C) 931.212.0267
(H) 931.657.3107
(F) 931.657.3108

On 2014-06-25 10:46, cont...@metricpioneer.com wrote:
Just for fun, consider clicking on the little speaker on the French side
when you go to Translate Google for centimeter (be sure that you have
your speakers turned on): https://translate.google.com/#nl/fr/centimeter

----- Message from Remek Kocz <rek...@gmail.com
<mailto:rek...@gmail.com>> ---------
     Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:51:27 -0400
     From: Remek Kocz <rek...@gmail.com <mailto:rek...@gmail.com>>
Subject: [USMA:54027] "Sonometer" and French units
       To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu
<mailto:usma@colostate.edu>>

Some of you here might find this mildly amusing, but most will
probably groan.  I know I do.  In medicine, some doctors like to
pronounce the word centimeter as "sont-o-meter" or "sonometer" if
spoken quickly.  Why?   Probably because it sounds French and it gives
an impression of using a specialized or esoteric unit unique to the
field.  Informally, I noticed that the trend towards this
pronunciation is among the specialties that use centimeters the
least.  Internal medicine docs tend to say it that way, while surgeons
or obstetricians who use centimeters daily, usually say things correctly.
Speaking of things French: A curiosity in terms of medical measurement
is the existence of "French" units.  They are exactly 1/3 mm and are
used to represent diameters of various catheters (intravenous,
bladder) and tubes.  Usually abbreviated "Fr" or sometimes "F."   So
something that's 3 Fr, is 1 mm in diameter.

----- End message from Remek Kocz <rek...@gmail.com
<mailto:rek...@gmail.com>> -----

David Pearl www.MetricPioneer.com <http://www.MetricPioneer.com>
503-428-4917