From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of Michael Payne
Sent: 30 June 2014 08:28
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:54078] Re: Pressure Unit

Bars and millibars are metric (1 bar or 1000 mb equal one atmosphere. SI
changed to Pascal as the unit of pressure, you choose the prefix to suit the
value, aircraft use hPa because it's the same number of digits as millibars,
but kPa is fine for most atmospheric pressure, this is what the Canadians
use for weather reports on TV. Over here in France (and I believe the rest
of Europe including the UK) they use hPa for weather reports.

An interesting aside, I was driving back from the airport the other day and
passed a line of Army Land Rovers, I thought they were probably French, but
passing one I saw stencilled on the spare tire holder 60 PSI, so I figured
they must be British, although I would have thought the British military
were entirely SI by now.

Mike Payne