None of the six Senior Executives in the EIA have replied to my request to
*add* a column in EIA Tables stating “energies" in the SI Unit of energy, the
“joule (J)".

The more primitive expressions used continue to be:

1. for crude oil, in “bbl” of volume, where there is 0.15899 cubic meter per
bbl, but the energy depends of the quality of the oil.

2. for natural gas, in “mmBtu” or “therms” of heat energy where there are about
1054 to 1059 kilojoules per mmBtu, depending on the quality of the gas, and
there are 105.4 804 megajoules (MJ) per therm.

3. for coal, in “not-SI tons” of mass where there are 1000 kilograms per metric
ton (t), where the heat energy, again, depends on the quality of the coal.

The units of measurement used are units from outside the SI; *not* SI Units of
energy “joule (J)” or of Power “watt (W)!

The task of adding information in joules or watts is not trivial because of
wide variations in the quality of the energy sources.

I suppose this is a part of the reason the EIA has not added joules or watts to
the EIA reports of Energy Information.

Nevertheless, this continues to be a worthy objective of future EIA Information
reports!

I am considering another try to persuade the EIA to include the joule and the
watt in EIA Tables and in single statements of energy or power.

Eugene A. Mechtly