From: James [mailto:j...@metricmethods.com]
Sent: 07 January 2015 20:27
To: vliets...@btinternet.com; U.S. Metric Association
Subject: Re: [USMA:54563] Re: Units and ASTM -- long reply

Martin is getting toward a salient point here. I am posting this rather
large note since some newer folks on the mailing list might benefit from and
overview. There are three main groups that I discuss here.

-----

1.  First, let us look at international standards developing organizations
(SDOs):

IEC is a similarly independent international organization for standards
development. It was founded in 1906 following discussions with the British
Institution of Electrical Engineers, the American Institute of Electrical
Engineers (AIEE, which evolved to the Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers or IEEE), and others. IEC played a major role in
development and adoption of a cgs system that eventually led to the SI. As
its name implies, it focuses on electrical and electronic standards.

ISO is an independent international organization for standards development.
To quote from their website:
> The ISO story began in 1946 when delegates from 25 countries met at the
Institute of Civil Engineers in London and decided to create a new
international organization ‘to facilitate the international coordination and
unification of industrial standards’. In February 1947 the new organization,
ISO, officially began operations.
But the roots of ISO go farther back to 1926 when the International
Federation of the National Standardizing Associations (ISA) was formed.
It suspended operations in 1942 due to the war and was revived at the urging
of the UN Standards Coordinating Committee. It focuses on mechanical and
other non-electrical standards.

ISO and IEC have worked jointly on standards that affect both arenas --
electrical and non-electrical. They jointly published the ISO/IEC 80000
series and are developing the ISO/IEC 80003 series on physiological
quantities. (Note, that no space occurs to group digits here!) The 80000
series is coming to be known as the International System of Quantities
(ISQ), a parallel to the International System of Units (SI).

And, of course, we should remember the General Conference on Weights and
Measures (CGPM) and its subsidiary parts. They publish the SI.

Other profession-oriented (and therefore less broad) international
organizations exist, such as the International Union of Pure and Applied
Chemistry (IUPAC) and the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics
(IUPAP). These often provide delegates or representatives to the larger and
broader SDOs.

2.  Now let's look at national standards coordinating organizations:

The American National Standards Institute is the umbrella group for US SDOs.
To quote their website:
> ANSI is the sole U.S. representative and dues-paying member of the
International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and as a founding
member of the ISO, ANSI plays an active role in its governance.
This relationship is handled under the ANSI/ISOT office. Similar to that is
ANSI's relationship to IEC and that is handled by ANSI's US National
Committee (ANSI/USNC). All US votes on ISO and IEC standards go through
ANSI. Those votes are recommended by appropriate Technical Advisory Groups
(TAGs). TAGs must be funded by sponsors, who pay the ANSI fees to ISO and
IEC for the particular Technical Committees (TCs) that the sponsors
participate in. For example, NIST heads and pays the TAG fees for ISO/TC 12
and IEC/TC 25. Dr. Ambler Thompson (NIST) is the Technical Advisor for each
of those. For the last three years or so I have been serving as his deputy
(DTA). I am also the TA for IEC/TC 1.

The British Standards Institute (BSI) and the Deutsches Institut für Normung
(DIN) similarly are the British and German national organizations for
standards.

3.  While we are at it, let's mention the national measurement institutes
(NMIs) which play a major role in all this. They represent their countries
under the Treaty of the Meter, from which the CGPM and its CIPM and BIPM
were formed. Technically, departments of state are the representatives to
the Treaty of the Meter, but generally they defer to their appropriate NMIs
for handling the technical details.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is the US national
standards lab and NMI. It operates under the Department of Commerce on
behalf of the Department of State.

The National Physics Laboratory (NPL) is Britain's NMI and the Physikalisch
Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is Germany's.

-----

I hope that this overview is useful for at least some of our readers by
providing a sort of hierarchy of organizations. I purposely omitted mention
of participating organizations from other countries (France, Italy, Spain,
Russia, etc.) to limit its size. Likewise, I omitted many other
international SDOs such as the ITU.

Sometimes it is easy to get lost in the soup of acronyms (or
initializations) and lose track of who does what for whom. It has taken me
some time to get it all sorted out in my own mind, I know! I will apologize
in advance; surely I have made some errors in the above -- hopefully minor
ones.

Jim Frysinger
Chair, IEEE/SCC14
DTA, US TAG for ISO/TC 12