I was pleased to hear this morning a syndicated financial program on many U.S. radio stations used square meters and kilograms to describe a new farming technique in Kansas. No Customary units, no apologies. (www.edelmanfinancial.com).

One factor in metrication that I haven't heard discussed is the increasing number of foreigners that are coming into the United States, legally and illegally, particularly from Latin countries that use metric (Mexico, etc.) I wonder why there hasn't been more of a push from these groups for more metric. I notice that Mark Henschel's program on National Public Radio included two call-ins from European immigants, who advocated the metric system.

Martin Morrison,
Columnist, USMA Today