David, this is an excellent petition, and I am proud to have become the 14th
signer (they take their time in updating the count, but I did confirm my
signature in the email link sent to me).

The permissive metric-only proposal to amend the Fair Packaging and Labeling
Act to allow manufacturers the OPTION of dropping all but metric units from
their labeling and packaging costs the manufacturers NOTHING and provides no
mandatory changes in product labeling and packaging.  In a country in which the
metric system has now been declared (in 1988) to be the preferred system of
weights and measures for trade and commerce, this change is necessary and many
years overdue.

Paul Trusten, Registered Pharmacist
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
Midland, Texas, USA
+1(432)528-7724
www.metric.org