I recently hired (briefly!) a new 20-something handyman bloke for some simple carpentry work in my properties. He was not cheap (charging over double minimum wage), yet he couldn't measure in metric. On one job I asked him to do, he had left his tape measure at home, so I lent him my metric-only tape. "Where's the feet and inches?," he asked. I told him he should be working in metric - which he couldn't do. The final straw was when he phoned me to get him some additional wood items. When I asked him what dimensions, he gave me a mixed-up mess of mm and cm (he did not understand the difference), with his estimate of inches thrown in for (not so) good measure. It was pure luck that I managed to get the right sizes (specified in the store exclusively in mm), but I decided that I couldn't work with someone who couldn't even properly measure simple items. A sad indictment on Britain's current education standards.

John F-L

-----Original Message----- From: Martin Vlietstra
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:08 PM
To: 'Michael Payne' ; 'USMA'
Subject: [USMA 77] Re: Fwd: SI units

A recent OECD report (http://www.oecd.org/unitedkingdom/building-skills-for-all-review-of-england.pdf) looks at the low rate of numeracy amongst 16-19 year olds in England. England came 22nd out of the 23 with the United States at 23rd. Australia was about half-way down the pack at 13th. What does Australia have that England and the US lack? My guess is that they have made a full conversion to the metric system. In the case of England, the metric system is taught in the schools but the imperial system is used in the playground and at home which results, I believe, in undermining numeracy in our young population.

If might be worth remembering the saying often attributed (wrongly I believe) to Confucius: "That which I hear I will forget, that which I see I will remember, that which I do I will understand".

Any comments?

Martin Vlietstra