South Africa uses the comma as a country regardless of the language of the
writer. I think the main point (excuse the pun) is getting rid of the comma for
the thousand separator where it can be confused with the decimal point in a lot
of languages. The use of the comma or point are optional, it’s the same in the
USA and probably every other country that is a member of BIPM. I had not
realised until recently that this standard had been adopted by so many
countries. Hence 1 000 000,0 or 1 000 000.0.

I don’t really care whether it’s a space or a thin space as long as the comma
is gone. I’ve done this for 30 years in the US and no one has questioned what
I’ve done. When you think about it Ma Bell decided on the dash for the spacer,
they could just as easily have written the phone number 201,555,1212 or
201.555.1212 or 201 555 1212. I think the last one is just as understandable
and easily read.

Mike Payne