A few weeks ago I went out with my new survey-quality GPS system to check
coordinates of two benchmarks to make sure that I can use the system right. I
went to a benchmark called Rainbow which was a bit hard to find. Not seeing it
on the ground, I entered the coordinates and told the system to help me find
it. It told me 4.6 meters of fill and a horizontal distance. I moved it around
and found the benchmark, but was puzzled by this vertical discrepancy. I went
to the other benchmark, named Oakland, which is easier to find, and got its
coordinates. Again there was a 4.6 m vertical discrepancy.

Yesterday I went to a job I've been surveying to get state plane coordinates.
I noticed an icon on the data collector next to the number 6.562. I figured out
that the icon means the pole height, and set it to the correct value, 2. Then
I got coordinates of three points and returned home.

It appears that I had a previous test job in feet, and the salesman had set
the pole height to 6.562 ft, which is 2 m, and when I created my real job and
set it to meters, the program took the number 6.562 and interpreted it as
6.562 m, resulting in the vertical error. I don't know why you'd want to enter
the height of a pole used with a GPS unit in feet anyway, as fixed poles are
used with GPS units, and they're always whole numbers of decimeters.

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji