You answered my question. When I was there last (a long time ago) the
distances were in miles, but the speed limits were in km/h. Without the
km/h shown. As a passenger in a car, I was really scared of the speed until
the driver explained this state of affairs. I was like this apparently for
years and nobody seemed bothered.
Stan