Interesting conversation with a neighbour over here in France this afternoon.
He’d go down to the local metal dealer with his order for 3500 mm of steel. But
the guy would say "no cannot do that" and he couldn’t understand why. I asked
how are you writing the 3500? Put it down on paper for me.

3,500. I said well you realise the French use the comma as the decimal so he
thinks you want three point five millimetres of steel, not three thousand five
hundred millimetres. He’d not noticed that the road signs, everything you see
has a comma for the decimal maker, and was not aware it was different.

Mike Payne