Hi Nicolas,
Thank you very much for your quick response.
Regarding variable packet sizes the output of my block is going straight to the
host side and I am not planning these to connect to other blocks. In this case
do you see any issue? Will uhd and gnuradio cope with that or will I have
issues?

Regarding timing I was referring to a relationship between input and output
packets. I understand these can be unrelated and basically I just have to
generate the right chdr on the output side but just wanted to cross check.

Regarding message ports the point is that my block is a sort of protocol
decoder so the idea is to input samples and output metadata when a packet is
received. In rfnoc_fosphor_c_impl::handle_cfg_message message port is an input
whereas I was considering treating output data as an output message port as it
is a more logical representation of what I am outputting. In any case if data
can be output in discontinuous, variable length bursts then I don’t see any
problem in using stream…

Finally, regarding tutorial… the link you sent me is exactly what I studied so
far but it contains little information on how to code C implementations to
support RFNoC blocks. As you may have guessed I have to perform some
significant post processing on data and for me xml block descriptors are not
enough. For this reason I was looking for the rfnoc-tutorial/lib/gain_impl.cc
file referred in your link which I can’t find anywhere.

Thanks,

Dario Pennisi