Niemals,

> The "faintest reasonable signal level" that a typical SDR can process!
> (Typically  around -120  to  -130 dBm).!

no! You can process much weaker signals, too, given enough processing gain.
Marcus was just giving an example. Whether you can "see" what is in the air
depends on the detector *you* write and how *you* configure the SDR.

If you know the tone you're looking for, you can corelate with that for a long
time, considering only the signal within a very limited bandwidth, and this y
capturing little noise. Them you can detect much weaker signals.
If you can't be sure on which frequency the tone is, or you can't corelate for
a long time, that doesn't work, and you'll need more power to detect the tone.

But: for none of this the power in dBm plays a role. You only need SNR, and
that is a dimensionless thing (in dB). You get the SNR you need from analytical
error curves of the thing that uses that channel after probing, or via
simulation.

Getting an example for some completely different supplication from "someone on
the internet" and then using the numbers from that is certainly wrong. You're a
student, so you will have to write a report of some kind in the end. Do some
formal calculations for how much SNR you need for your application to work,
then use that SNR to calculate for how long you'll need to observe a noisy tone
to *reliably* (that means: set probabilities for false alarm and for missed
detections, calculate based on these) assess the channel.
Discuss these steps with your team or advisor. Don't "hand-waive" detection;
that's not how things work in a math-affine world like SDR.

> It cannot be in real time!

I don't see why any of this wouldn't work in real time.

> the "power based approach" seems to "not stand in favor"!  Perhaps best would
> be to send and receive known data and then declare the channel as healthy?

Well, the power of a single tone only gives you info about an infinitely narrow
piece of bandwidth within your channel. That is indeed not a good channel state
information estimator.

You'd typically want to send a signal that fills the whole bandwidth of the
system you want to use the channel with. Depending on your receive software
architecture, detection of packets before sync might be easy or not. So, that's
up to *you* to decide.

But, really, things pretty much always boil down to "this detected something in
the receive signal that looks like what I was expecting to get with a
similarity (often: normalized correlation coefficient) of x", and then have a
threshold for x, based on your signal model, noise estimate, receiver operating
characteristics. When x above threshold, assume you saw a sufficiently good
signal, if below, then not.

So, again, it's good that you engage with the community, but you really might
want to take a piece of paper and draw a draft of a flow chart of how you want
your receiver to work, and make bullet points in the things you need to figure
out for that. Discuss that with your advisor. I have yet to meet one advisor
that says "I wished my students would not occasionally approach me to discuss
their well-structured plans".

Best regards,
Marcus