Hi David,

UHD should write that rx_freq tag whenever you change the frequency. Maybe
others will know to explain why it doesn't. Which GR version are you using?
Open usrp_source_impl.cc and verify that your version has `_tag_now = true`
in `set_center_freq()` and that `work()` responds to that flag by adding
the `rx_freq` tag (and others).
Using a downstream block will be less accurate then tagging it in UHD
(which, if I understand correctly, isn't accurate by itself but the best
one can get using host code). Think about it this way: you call
set_center_freq which (assuming) tags the next sample to come from the USRP
Source and also tells your block to add that tag. But there are some
samples in the pipeline between USRP Source and your tagging block, which
will be assumed to be from the new freq, but actually aren't. In addition,
it's probable that UHD tags too early (before the RF frontend actually
finished changing frequencies) - but I'm not sure about that as it depends
whether the low-level call is synchronous or not (haven't checked).

Regarding settling time, I asked a similar question a few weeks ago,
regarding the B205mini, which uses the same AD chip as your B200mini:
http://lists.ettus.com/pipermail/usrp-users_lists.ettus.com/2017-October/026851.html