Hello,

First of all I would like to mention that I am not sure if this is the right
location to ask these type of questions. However, I tried to find answers to my
questions elsewhere but couldn't find a better suited location, so I hope I'm
not at the wrong address and causing too much clutter in the e-mail list.

My experience with USRPs is almost nonexistent. Over the last few weeks I have
looked around on the internet, learning about the concepts of FPGAs and HDL
coding and I followed the Getting Started Guide for RFNoC. I am familiar with
signal processing and the required mathematics and I would like to apply this
knowledge in the domain of FPGAs, possibly while using RFNoC. This, I will be
doing within the scope of an assignment that was given to me: what needs to be
done is to set-up a USRP X310 with a real time signal generation module.
Currently, this module is already up and running on a USRP N210 and all HDL
code and host code is available to me. So all that needs to be done, is to use
the existing HDL code and port it to another device. At least.. that's how I
interpret the task. Like I said, I am new to the USRP field and I have
difficulties approaching it. Where do I get started? Do I need to know in-depth
HDL coding etc.

Here are some of the questions I have, I would like to thank anyone who is kind
enough to reply to them in advance for answering:

·         HDL code is device independent, correct? Giving that the new FPGA has
enough available hardware to synthesize the code, it shouldn't be a problem to
reuse the HDL code on a different device. So my thinking was that I could
simply keep all the code that was created by someone skilled on the subject and
simply create a new device specific image and no changes would be required. Is
this correct or am I too naïve about this? (My attempts at doing this using
Vivado, were useless and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.)

·         The existing HDL code is written in VHDL, but upon following the
RFNoC getting started guide, I noticed the rfnocmodtool produces Verilog
skeleton code. Is it also possible to make this work with the code I currently
have or will I have to translate the code into Verilog?

·         Will RFNoC be a useful tool in fulfilling this task?

·         There are many ready to use RFNoC blocks available through the ettus
open source library. But I have trouble understanding what they are used for...
where can I find a description of these blocks? Normally I would expect the
function of a block written in the code itself. And since I do not read HDL
code that well, the meaning of the code is not directly obvious to me.

·         To close off, I realize that maybe I am too much a beginner to start
this project. In that case, where should I begin? Is a HDL coding course the
place to start?

Kind regards,

Koen