On 09/13/2018 08:52 PM, Jack Yang via USRP-users wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to set up a 8 channels coherent receiver where I am using two X310 and each X310 is equipped with two TwinRx. However, the phase alignment across two USRP are always failed. The two X310 are using the OctoClock-G to have 1M PPS and 10MHz clock. Then, I am using a individual transmitter which can generate single tone with RF splitter to connect to the 8 channels via RF coaxial cable. My GNURadio configuration is shown as below the link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/du15rakg1nacmql/DualX310_8Rec_v1.py?dl=0 ). Alternatively, one can also see the below summary configuration. I can have constant phase difference within the same USRP when I power on and off for different trials, while the phase difference across two USRP are always varying for each trial (i.e The phase difference between Ch4 in first USRP and Ch5 in second USRP is not constant among different runs). The below links refer to the results for two different trials. In first trials, all the phase difference is shifted based on itself mean value (First run, https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8so39bejzdofi8/Run1.png?dl=0 ). Then, using the first-run average phase difference to compensate the phase difference in the second run (Second run, https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhkmp6cuxzwylvx/Run2.png?dl=0 ). As the result shown in the second run, the phase difference across Rx5 and Rx3 has been shifted to -214 degrees while all the other phase difference within itself USRP are still the same as the previous measurement. Could someone let me know how I can configure two USRP X310 with TwinRx for the coherent receivers?

Many thanks for the help!

All Best,
Jack

So in the first USRP, your TwinRx is configured to share the LO from the first channel to the other 3 channels. The only phase-offset compensation you'll need to do is fixed, and is dominated just by the length of the cables within the enclosure that are used to share LOs.

However, in the second USRP, THAT LO is independent from the one on the first X310, even though it uses a common phase reference (the 10MHz shared between the two). What this means is that the two USRPs won't drift relative to one another, but there will be some unknown phase offset between them, due to the way that RF synthesizers work--you have two synthesizers (one in the first USRP on one of the TwinRX cards), and the other in the second. They won't agree on startup phase, except "by accident". You'll have to resolve this using a calibration procedure. There's really no way around that with this type of architecture.