I have been working on applications to control a N310 directly using the uhd
api. As I work with the code I am noticing there is a difference in the way you
bring up a usrp in what I will call the traditional (legacy)
uhd::multi_usrp::make() approach vs the newer uhd::device3::make approach which
seems to only appear in the examples that are specifically rfnoc. I realize you
can use the legacy approach and examples to run on the N310 but as soon as I
start modifying the FPGA image and manually take out the DDC and DUC for
example it does not like that and seg faults. I am guessing it is looking for
those blocks and doing a whole rfnoc block enumeration thing under hood and
getting mad? I have been successful using the rfnoc (device3) examples on my
tweaked FPGA image and I am currently using 3.15 LTS.

So I would like to do the following and am asking how best to proceed?

-I want to remove DDC and DUC blocks from the FPGA build to make room for my
own stuff.

-I would like to have full uhd api capability and it appears some things are
missing like the sensor query that seems to be available only via multi_usrp
using the traditional approach. If you look at the rfnoc examples they have
TODOs in those sections.

I did notice that in the latest master branch there is a mb_controller class
that looks like it might make that stuff available. It makes sense to me that
the radio_ctrl would not have that motherboard type stuff but in the lastest
release branch it only seems to be available via the traditional multi-usrp
approach.

So do I need to use the master branch if I want full capability using the newer
api or is there some other way to get to things like the sensor query? Or
should I use the rfnoc dev branch? It seems master has more than even rfnoc at
this point.

Thanks
Jeff Long