Mike
This was very VERY helpful! Thank you for the guidance!
Dennis

        -----------------------------------------From: "Mike via USRP-users"
To: usrp-users@lists.ettus.com
Sent: Friday February 19 2021 5:55:34PM
Subject: Re: [USRP-users] gr-ettus Cross-Compile "Target
'gnuradio::runtime_swig' not found."

 This is good information and helped me out with my cross-compiler
issues.

 So, for posterity, my setup is as follows:

 1. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

 2. UHD4.0 (gitbranch UHD-4.0)

 3. GNU Radio (gitbranch maint-3.8)

 4. gr-ettus (gitbranch maint-3.8-uhd4.0)

 These were installed on the host using pybombs with the recipe
modified
 for the branches listed previously.

 Next, I downloaded the SDK with "uhd_images_downloader -t e310 -t
sdk"
 and installed into a new cross compile directory (~/prefix/gr38/oe)

 Next, I added python-six and added the following PYTHONPATH line in
the
 script that sources the cross-compiling environment variables:

 export

PYTHONPATH=/home/mike/prefix/gr38/oe/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH
 Note: this is in addition to what was previously instructed which
was:

 export

PYTHONPATH=/home/mike/prefix/gr38/oe/sysroots/x86_64-oesdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

 Bottom line is to inspect the output of gnuradio cmake to ensure that
 all python related items are found properly

 For cross compiling I used the following cmake directives for each
item

 1. UHD4.0 - cmake
 -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../host/cmake/Toolchains/oe-sdk_cross.cmake
 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DENABLE_E300=ON -DENABLE_GPSD=ON ..

 Note: I tried this with setting -DRUNTIME_PYTHON_EXECUTABLE=python2
but
 it did not compile

 2. GNU Radio - cmake -Wno-dev -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python2

-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=~/prefix/gr38/src/gnuradio/cmake/Toolchains/oe-sdk_cross.cmake
 -DENABLE_INTERNAL_VOLK=OFF -DENABLE_GR_WXGUI=OFF
-DENABLE_GR_VOCODER=OFF
 -DENABLE_GR_DTV=OFF -DENABLE_GR_ATSC=OFF -DENABLE_DOXYGEN=OFF
 -DCMAKE_ASM_COMPILER_ARG1:STRING="-mcpu=cortex-a9"
 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ../

 Big point here is -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python2

 3. gr-ettus - cmake

-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=~/prefix/gr38/src/gnuradio/cmake/Toolchains/oe-sdk_cross.cmake
 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DENABLE_QT=OFF -DENABLE_DOXYGEN=OFF ..

 Linus seems to be a moving target so what works one day may not work
the
 next. That's why I try to document what configuration worked for me.

 Hope this helps,

 Mike

 On 2/19/21 11:17 AM, Marcus Müller via USRP-users wrote:
 > Glad you solved it! Still, should work with Python3 – GNU Radio
3.8 (and later) is Python
 > 3 compatible (with 3.8 being the only release line of GNU Radio to
support both Py2 and Py3).

 > However, you're right, your CMake detects and chooses Python 2.7
(it can use either), and
 > if you then try to link against Python 3.x, it would indeed fail.
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > Marcus
 >
 > DISCLAIMER: Any attached Code is provided As Is. It has not been
tested or validated as a product, for use in a deployed application or
system, or for use in hazardous environments. You assume all risks for
use of the Code. Use of the Code is subject to terms of the licenses
to the UHD or RFNoC code with which the Code is used. Standard
licenses to UHD and RFNoC can be found at
https://www.ettus.com/sdr-software/licenses/.
 /> >
 > NI will only perform services based on its understanding and
condition that the goods or services (i) are not for the use in the
production or development of any item produced, purchased, or ordered
by any entity with a footnote 1 designation in the license requirement
column of Supplement No. 4 to Part 744, U.S. Export Administration
Regulations and (ii) such a company is not a party to the transaction.
If our understanding is incorrect, please notify us immediately
because a specific authorization may be required from the U.S.
Commerce Department before the transaction may proceed further.

 > On 19.02.21 17:05, dtra...@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
 >> Marcus
 >>
 >> I resolved the issue. Apparently, I needed to cross-compile
GnuRadio with python2
 >> instead of python3.
 >>
 >> Dennis

(kitware.com/cmake).