On 2022-10-19 19:01, Minutolo, Lorenzo wrote:
Hi All,
I'm trying to develop a rfnoc4 block that changes the data rate and the packet size. Specifically, my block is very similar to the keep-1-in-N block operated in packet mode with the exception that the first arbitrary M packets are discarded, the output packet-in-N is an average of the packets that arrived in the meantime and the output packed is cropped respect to the input packet length.

I'm trying to understand how to develop this block.

The first approach that comes to my mind is to copy the keep-1-in-N and modify it. First question:

 1. How do I port the existing keep-1-in-N block to a new OOT block?

The second question is relative to how to deal with rate change and packet size change in a OOt block. Except for looking into files, I cannot find a comprehensive guide.

 2. Is there a hands-on guide on how to develop these blocks other
    than the gain example?

I'm a physicist with some FPGA knowledge, not a FPGA developer:

 3. are there companies/contractors that can design these blocks?

Thanks,
Lorenzo

Are you considering the FPGA path because you feel that the sample-rates are too high for an ordinary computer to cope with, or
  because it just "seems right".

I'll note that the CASPER folks (at U C Berkeley) routinely do FPGA-based signal-processing chains for radio science--they
  might be a source of some help for FPGA development.

I'm not an RFNOC person myself.  My preference is to avoid radio-science applications where "FPGA" is the only answer.
  But, that approach isn't, I admit, universally applicable....