On 17/02/2023 13:34, Anil Gurses via USRP-users wrote:
Hi all,

I have a simple question about the continuous stream. As you all know, USRP RX lights indicate whether it's receiving samples or not. On continuous streaming, these lights are turned on if the recv function is called from the host computer(stay on until the end of recv function call). In theory, the continuous streaming mode should receive and buffer these samples. So, shouldn't the lights be on until the continuous streaming stop(not until the end of recv function call)?

If this is how it should be, then my understanding of continuous stream is wrong. If I don't call recv function, doesn't USRP receive samples and buffer them(on continuous streaming mode)?
The light is turned on when a receive streamer is created, as far as I know.

If your application doesn't call recv(), some number of samples will be buffered in various parts of the library and OS drivers, and
  then they'll just start getting dropped.

In general, your application absolutely, positively, needs to call recv() to consume samples as fast as they're produced, on average.   Short-term shortfalls are "soaked up" by buffers, but if your application cannot "keep up", no amount of buffering will save it.

Thanks,
A.