Hi Joe,
One thought is that the Rx Radio may never be getting the command to start
streaming.  Normally, this occurs by calling
rx_streamer->issue_stream_cmd() which propagates from the rx_streamer block
controller to the DDC block controller and ultimately to the Rx Radio block
controller.  If your custom block is in between and if your custom block
controller does not properly propagate this command, it will never arrive
at the Rx Radio.  But, this may not make sense in your case because I would
expect you would be receiving no data at all.

Another thought regarding troubleshooting of custom blocks is that if it is
possible to "dynamically link" your block using streaming end points for
the FPGA build, then you can configure a troubleshooting graph that is
essentially tx_streamer->your_custom_block->rx_streamer so that you can
verify that your block is behaving correctly.

How are you talking to your custom image?  C++/UHD?  gnuradio?

Rob