You need to use it inside a initial begin block.

initial begin
  $display("This ends with a new line ");
end

If you write like this, it will work. But don't forget that the $display
function is only used for simulation, but not synthesis. Therefore; it is
best to use it in testbench files.

Kind Regards,
Yasir