On 24/01/2024 16:11, Rob Kossler wrote:
Hi Joe,
I noticed that you have 128GB RAM.  If you turn this into a 120GB RAM
drive, is this sufficient memory depth for your needs? If this is
possible, there is a good chance it will solve your issue.

Prior to DPDK, I tried to save to fast SSD and I always had problems
at high rates (X310, etc,  not X410 rates). I was always able to solve
the problem by saving to a RAM drive.  At one point I even wrote a
separate utility to continually monitor and copy files from the RAM
drive to the SSD so that the RAM drive never actually filled.  Even
when I toyed with DPDK (a long time ago), I had much improved behavior
saving to SSD but still not as good as when I saved to RAM drive which
always has given me performance that rivals benchmark_rate.
Rob
An SSD can notionally write at about 300-500MB/sec, which amounts to up to about 80MSPS, depending on sample format, etc.

One can optimize storage size by perhaps reducing sample-size, but any computation involved in doing that conversion
  must necessarily be "paid for".

Joe noted that he was writing in "bursts"  where he might only save some fraction of the samples coming in, which   suggests that disk-write rate may not be the overwhelming issue here, but rather the ability to safely bring all these   samples into the system in something approaching real-time, without dropping anything.