Hello,

I am looking for a kernel mechanism whereby a user process
could receive a notification, via a signal or blocking syscall
whenever another thread or process terminates. I am interested
in such a mechanism in a situation where the terminating thread
or process is NOT a descendant of the notifiee. Otherwise, I could
simply use SIGCHLD.

Today, the solution is to ptrace that thread until it dies. But this
is overkill as we have to deal with signal forwarding and such.

I am wondering:
        - does utrace offer this kind of notification directly?
        - if not, can this be built on top?

I am interested in this in the context of perfmon. You can attach
to another process to monitor it for a while or until it dies. It
is nice to avoid maintaining the monitored thread under ptrace during
the session. Today, perfmon uses its own notification mechanism via
a message queue to forward the information to use monitoring tool.
I'd rather use a standard kernel mechanism rather than this.

Thanks.

--
-Stephane