> Ananth forwarded me this mail as it has some mention of kexec.
> In this posting you mentioned that the recent regset changes
> you are planning might break kexec.
>
> Could you elaborate on this ? Also will these changes break
> kexec only on powerpc or other arch also ?

Please see http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/18/583

No arch's kexec is affected unless it has removed its ELF_CORE_COPY_REGS
macro.  My x86 changes in the x86/mm tree did that, but it's now been added
back to unbreak kexec.  The powerpc patches I posted also remove the macro,
but those patches haven't been incorporated anywhere yet anyway; it's
simple just not to remove the macro (it's part of patch 10/16 in the
powerpc patch series; patch 10 does nothing but remove old code, all of
which but this is truly unused).

As I mentioned in that lkml message, I think it would be better for kexec
to clean up its arch interfaces not to use elf_core_copy_regs at all.
There is already machine-specific kexec code that goes through contortions
with register values, so it might as well be consolidated into a single set
of contortions that produces the final data format (i.e. elf_gregset_t).
But there is no big rush to resolve that.  The machine-specific macro
ELF_CORE_COPY_REGS no longer has any use for core files and it's unsightly
to keep it around with that name, but that's all.

kexec will not be broken by the user_regset changes when they are merged.
If kexec cleaned up, that and user_regset support together would permit
each arch to drop the ELF_CORE_COPY_REGS macro and cut down the clutter.