When describing problems you are seeing, please always cite exactly what
kernel code you are running.

An engine should never get a report_quiesce callback when the
UTRACE_EVENT(QUIESCE) flag is not set.  I don't see in the code how it ever
can.  If your utrace_set_flags call succeeded, then you should be able to
see in engine->flags that UTRACE_EVENT(QUIESCE) is not there any more.  If
it's not, them I am at a bit of a loss as to what would ever call that
engine->ops->report_quiesce function.

That said, I would not suggest spending a lot of effort on digging into
this sort of problem.  This is exactly the stuff that is changing the most
in the interface revamp, and the utrace internal code is coming out fairly
different.  So many quirks of the old code are really a dead horse now.