Hi, David.  I'm back in the saddle at home today and got a chance to look
into this bug.

I've fixed it in the current utrace git/patch.  I also committed it for the
next rawhide kernel.  I think rawhide mirrors are in f10-beta freeze, so
you have to go to http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.27/
and check for when a build >= 2.6.27-0.343 arrives.  One should be there
before Tuesday morning, even if rawhide proper doesn't get updated.

The bug was that the attach could leave the bookkeeping in a wrong state so
that the utrace_control call would skip some flag-setting it needed to get
the pending UTRACE_STOP to be noticed.  To hack on the kernel you have, you
can work around it with:
        set_thread_flag(TIF_NOTIFY_RESUME);
after attach.  That will be harmless on fixed kernels, though I wouldn't
recommend leaving it in.