> No functional changes, preparation.

I don't see how this helps prepare for anything in particular.
When this path is really relevant at all, we'll just remove ptrace_signal.

> Change get_signal_to_deliver() so that ptrace_signal() is called even
> if utrace returns signr != 0.
>
> I think this is more correct now, when ptrace is not implemented on
> top of utrace.

I don't think so.  The return value from tracehook_signal is not a real
signal, it's a representative signal directing a specific disposition.
If there were both utrace and old ptrace coexisting today, it would be
wrong to have ptrace intercept the results of utrace_get_signal.

> When we change ptrace to use ->report_signal() ptrace_signal() should
> be killed/ifdefed anyway, so afaic this change will not interfere with
> utrace-ptrace.

There is no other reason to touch this code at all.
I don't see any motivation for this patch.