> Ah. Why, why I have not thought of it?

Your mind is filled with the actual hard parts, that's why!  :-)
I'm only dabbling enough to make the obvious suggestions.

> Agreed... ptrace_set_events? I agree with any naming.

Sure.  I'm not really picky either, I just hate the stupid __ names.
Anything that makes a little intrinsic sense is fine.

> Nothing wrong. I added this trivial helper just in case, if we change
> the lifetime rules for engine->data. I will keep it for now, but we
> can kill it at any moment.

Ok.  I suspect that if there is anything else it will require more code in
the caller anyway (such as a return value check or a paired unlock call).
But it doesn't hurt.