On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> Right, so there's two aspects:
>
>  1) concurrency when inserting the probe

That's the one I worried about. Stopping all threads will fix it,
obviously at a disastrous performance cost, but what do I care? As noted,
there are ways to do it safely with TLB switching, so it's fixable.

>  2) concurrency when hitting the probe

Yeah, I didn't worry about this part, since the only solution is the
out-of-line one, and I don't much care how the memory gets allocated for
it. Inserting a whole new vma seems pretty drastic, but compared to
stopping all threads, it's a small thing.

                Linus