> Probably, I am not sure. I can't recall the previous discussions.

Me either (except hazily the one notion I mentioned), but that's why
we have mailing list archives.

> Afaics, this was introduced by 26fefca955cc7c3c83014be2e10b773209d32eea
> "utrace: sticky resume action". Before that patch the stopped tracee
> could only "remember" the pending UTRACE_REPORT or UTRACE_INTERRUPT.

Correct.

> > But that's how it used to be, and then we changed it.
> > So it merits digging up our old discussion threads that led to doing that
> > and see what all we had in mind then.
>
> I tried to grep my mail archives and google, but failed to find anything
> related.

Based on the date of the commit you just mentioned, I browsed in:
        https://www.redhat.com/archives/utrace-devel/2009-October/thread.html
and saw:
        https://www.redhat.com/archives/utrace-devel/2009-October/msg00287.html
which is the day before that commit.  I didn't read through all that to
refamiliarize myself with all the details.