Here's an update on the problems I was/am having with my external USB
HDD and my work machine.

* Over the weekend I tested the drive with my laptop and it all works
dandy under both windows (XP) and linux (Debian). I can plug it in to my
coworker's windows box here and it works fine. Conclusion: the drive and
USB controller on the enclosure are both fine.

* Tried other USB devices on this work computer (gentoo linux),
particularly a USB mouse. The mouse did not cause the computer to hang
during bootup or when I plugged it in (like the USB drive does), but
neither did it work. Conclusion: USB is plain broke on this computer.

* USB drive still hangs my computer. If it is plugged in and powered up
during boot, the computer hangs -- but not until a ways *after* the
kernel USB utilities have already been activated, etc. Similarly,
powering up and plugging in the device while the computer is booted
locks up the computer.

* Last point, to reiterate, this device was working on this same
computer prior to some hardware changes I made which should not have
affected the USB subsystem. Between the point when it was working and
was not working, I did not do any software upgrades, I only changed the
hardware. Conclusion: it's a hardware problem.

So, in short, I've convinced myself and hopefully you that the problem
is not in my kernel modules, it is not in any of the software setup of
the machine; it is a hardware problem. And the broken hardware is not
that of the USB drive -- it's the computer I'm plugging the USB into.

Now my question is still: what hardware misconfiguration might cause
these USB problems?

Jacob Fugal