(sorry for answering my own post, but it's more a discussion than a
question so it's fair)

There's also a good open-source version of Bejeweled called Gweled
http://sebdelestaing.free.fr/gweled/

It has some UI issues if you ask me (I should be able to drag) but
it's a good reimplementation and it looks great.

--
Andrew Jorgensen