Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
I'm one of those guys who figures if I have to do anything special to
make it work it isn't friendly.  Neither of the cards you mentioned
qualify.  I've had good luck with older ATI cards though.  You can see
the status of which ATI chipsets are supported natively in DRI here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ATI  At the moment up to
9200 are supported (your distro may support only lower models.)

If you're using a RedHat or Fedora system, just get the nVidia kernel module RPMs from livna (rpm.livna.org). They will install the kernel module and X module for you, and even edit your XFree86Config.

If you're set up with apt4rpm, it's a simple apt-get to install your nVidia driver.