See the "--apparent-size" argument for du.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] steve]$ du --help
Usage: du [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Summarize disk usage of each FILE, recursively for directories.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
-a, --all write counts for all files, not just directories
--apparent-size print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage; although
the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be
larger due to holes in (`sparse') files, internal
fragmentation, indirect blocks, and the like
-B, --block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks
-b, --bytes equivalent to `--apparent-size --block-size=1'
-c, --total produce a grand total
-D, --dereference-args dereference FILEs that are symbolic links
-h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G)
-H, --si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024
-k like --block-size=1K
-l, --count-links count sizes many times if hard linked
-L, --dereference dereference all symbolic links
-S, --separate-dirs do not include size of subdirectories
-s, --summarize display only a total for each argument
-x, --one-file-system skip directories on different filesystems
-X FILE, --exclude-from=FILE Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE.
--exclude=PATTERN Exclude files that match PATTERN.
--max-depth=N print the total for a directory (or file, with --all)
only if it is N or fewer levels below the command
line argument; --max-depth=0 is the same as
--summarize
--help display this help and exit
--version output version information and exit

SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following:
kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1,000,000, M 1,048,576, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y.

Report bugs to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
I'd like to find the total file size of a directory (with
sub-directories).  I can use 'du -s' except that I've been told that
'du' reports disk usage, which is not the same as file size.  'ls -l'
will tell me the actual size of a single file, but won't tell me the
sum of the sizes of files in a directory.

Am I going to have to write a script to do this seemingly simple task?

Thanks,