On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 15:06 -0700, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> First, the decision was made among all of the officers, and was
> unanimous (this includes tuxgirl and all the rest, for those of you who
> are trying to turn this into a campaigning thread).

An official policy still needs to be created. I mean lets be honest, I
may not swear but I can be pretty abusive; the only reason I haven't
been kicked yet is that I'm friends with the current and all past
presidencies.

> Second, it's not a permanent ban.  This is the only way to knock someone
> on the head and say, "Look, we take this seriously."  If Michael would
> email us and say, "I'm sorry.  I realize that it was inappropriate.  I
> won't do it again," we would reinstate him.  In times past (since before
> I was a UUG officer--check the list archives for November 2003), this
> was the same action taken, and the reason is that people that write
> offensive emails tend to do it several times in a row.  We have to have
> a way to tell them to chill.

So give them a chance to demonstrate they won't do so on their own. Give
a warning first, don't go straight for the ban. Especially not with long
standing list members who've repeatedly demonstrated their usefulness.

> If any of you read Michael's response, you can see a really bad attitude
> ("I'm willing to accept that I'm just not BYU-approved material").  I
> think he likes to be a martyr (check the archives for the last time he
> got in a huge fight and left the list in a storm).  I have a hard time
> seeing him come back and apologize and commit to better behavior, but if
> he does, I'm more than happy to put him back on the list.  With his
> current attitude, I would feel irresponsible signing him back up on the
> list.

Whether Mike is playing it up or not (he is and he does) the fact is
that the decision to ban him without warning was still inappropriate.
I've heard the same word used on campus. What attitude? You say you're
willing to allow him back if he crawls across broken glass and pleads
for forgiveness, but I don't think he should have to. I'd be upset too
if I'd been blindsided without warning.

--
Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

using enough of it." - Chris Maden