Andrew McNabb wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 08:05:49PM -0700, Jared Lundell wrote:

At seemingly random times on a semi-regular basis I discover that my processor usage hits 100% and stays there for several minutes even though I am not doing anything major myself. A look at top showed that root was running prelink. I RTFM, but it seems strange to me that it would need to run on a regular basis; once should be enough. Is this normal? Something I should be concerned about?

That seems a little odd to me. It might be set to be a cron job. Check /etc/crontab and /etc/cron*/* to see if it's mentioned there. I don't see why prelink should run any more often than once a week.

It was set as a daily cron job.  Thanks.

Jared