Pretty much what I see that computer being is an $80 motherboard with
integrated sound, graphics, and ethernet, a hard drive and a case.

I'd suggest a cheap AMD chip, a 64 bit Semperon 2800+ is less than $80
on newegg, they're not the fastest, but the 64-bit enables Windows
Vista Beta 1 compatability (haha jk).

Browsing through the motherboards you can pick up a decent 70$
motherboard with an onboard geforce 6, ethernet, 5.1 sound.

Hard drives are going for around 70$ for a good sized one, I'll let
you check that out (for me I'd never settle for anything under 200 gb
[you know anime, mp3s -- they get big!] but I don't know what useage
you're looking at.

Add in a few extras (case, dvd drive, mouse, keyboard) for around 90$
you come to the same price you would have spent on dell, however your
chip is easily twice as powerful, more hard drive space, a dvd drive,
and you get away from the aweful intel extreme graphics.

*note* I didn't include the ram, but if you're planning to upgrade
that anyway...  The 256 mb is only worth 20$ or so.