Gary Thornock wrote:

I've done this for the last few years using Squid + DansGuardian,
first in Linux and later in FreeBSD.  It works very well.  I did
a UUG presentation about it a few months ago.  If you think the
slides from the presentation might be useful, they're available
at http://www.thornock.us/presentations/dansguardian/
You know, I've looked on the internet for information about setting up a transparent proxy using iptables and they all seem to say about the same command with a few variations. The command they say is basically what is said in this presentation. But no matter which ones I try, when I configure Firefox to stop using localhost:8080 as a proxy, it doesn't go through squid and dansguardian anymore. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I don't get any error messages when I run the iptables command. It just seems to connect directly out anyway.

Any suggestions? (If it helps, I'm runnig Gentoo 2006.0 with a 2,6.15-r1 kernel.)