I've been reading in the C99 spec, and I have a question you guys might be
able to help me with.

Given the paragraph at the end of this email, which are valid source files?

(Following are using C escape sequences)
""  - Blank line - Valid, because only a non-empty file has to end in a new
line.
"\n" - Valid, because it ends in a new-line
"\\\n" - Invalid, because it does not end in a newline that is not
immediately preceded by a backslash (gets changed to "")
          Or, is it valid?  This depends on if the final sentence is applied
before or after splicing takes place.

Anyway, could someone enlighten me as to when the final sentence is
applied?  Is "\n\\\n" valid because it is spliced to "\n", or is it
invalid?  Is "\\\n" valid because it is spliced to "", or is it invalid?

Paragraph 5.1.1.2, step 2 reads:

Each instance of a backslash character (*\*) immediately followed by a
new-line

character is deleted, splicing physical source lines to form logical source
lines.

Only the last backslash on any physical source line shall be eligible for
being part

of such a splice. A source file that is not empty shall end in a new-line
character,

which shall not be immediately preceded by a backslash character before any
such

splicing takes place.