Alvin ONeal wrote:
> I've been reading a little bit about ZFS and how it can't be included
> with the linux kernel due to licensing issues. However, the nVidia and
> ATI drivers aren't open-source and I don't hear to many complaints
> about that.
>
> So what's the big deal? Is there a particular reason that someone
> couldn't port ZFS to linux as a third-party driver rather than in the
> kernel?
>
> AJ ONeal

Well, there are a few things going on here.  First, for at least the
nVidia driver, I believe they provide some sort of "shim code" which is
GPLd, and is the module that links into the kernel.  That module then
may use a BLOB (the closed driver).  However, since the shim is the only
piece that's loaded into the kernel, its the only thing that needs to
have a GPL-compatible license.  Since it's GPLd, it's definitely
compatible.  I don't know about the ATI driver.  In any case, even if
the driver was loaded directly into the kernel, as long as it was
licensed with a GPL-compatible license, it'd be okay.

ZFS is licensed under the CDDL license, which is (apparently
deliberately) incompatible with GPL.  That means that CDDL code and GPL
code cannot be linked together in any form, kernel or otherwise.

There is a user-space implementation of ZFS being developed using the
FUSE framework.

Lloyd

--

Lloyd Brown